11.13.2006

Reg Strikes Back

Elton John: 'I Would Ban Religion Completely'

from The Associated Press

LONDON, England - Organized religion fuels anti-gay discrimination and other forms of bias, pop star Elton John said in an interview published Saturday.

"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people," John said in the Observer newspaper's Music Monthly Magazine. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays."

"But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion," he said. "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

John also criticized religious leaders for failing to do anything about conflicts around the world.

"Why aren't they having a conclave? Why aren't they coming together?"

John said those in his own field have been similarly lax.

"It's like the peace movement in the '60s. Musicians got through to people by getting out there and doing peace concerts, but we don't seem to do them any more," he said. "If John Lennon were alive today, he'd be leading it with a vengeance."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please christians, all over the world, pray for this lost world!!!!

November 15, 2006 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to know just what Elton expects people to do, and what he has done. "Spending yourself into bankrupcy repeatedly" does not count. As for gays and religion, not all of them preach mindless hatred, Buddhism springs to mind. Would Elton revive the philosophy of the ancient Greeks, who believed the love between two men was holier and purer than mere heterosexuality? (Insert joke about what happened to the ancient Greeks.) That was a religion of sorts, does it count?
Hey Elton, why not get in touch with Yoko? Maybe she could organize a concert? (shoves corks deeper into ears)

November 23, 2006 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do think Elton makes a good point about religious leaders not speaking out about the conflicts around the world. I guess the Dixie Chicks showed what happens when popular singers speak out against war. Of course, it was primarily the Patriotic At All Costs American Christian Nutcases who spoke out against them, but they RULE the U.S. Also, I think the record industry has changed and made performers more fearful. I wouldn't doubt, either, that they are all owned by American Repubs. I wonder what Panda Rosa thinks should be done?!

November 25, 2006 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What should be done? Well, I am first to admit I just do not know. But the current upsets just have us going in circles. I have lost all faith in Pres. Bush, but that does not mean I side with Elton and his ilk. All I can say is that singers and actors have the right idea, War Is Wrong, but they aren't the ones to lead us. The Dixie Chicks, etc, aren't wrong to speak up, but turning their concerts into a soapbox session isn't solving anything. I agree with you about American-Christain Nutcases even if I happen to be one sometimes.
But do you really think war and poverty will end because of a duet between Elton & Yoko Cat-With-Its-Tail-In-The-Door Ono? Unless it is the ONLY way to make her shut up FOREVER...

November 26, 2006 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Organized religion... hearing this makes it obvious that you haven't spent a lot of time figuring out what the purpose of life is.
I'll give you a hint, it's not making war. I'll give you another hint, it's not bashing other people for there faith or religion. Just because Elton is gay doesn't mean you have to listen to everything he sais.
All you have to do is figure out what your life is for. Try not to waste it either, because if you're right, its your only life!

December 20, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

Um, yeah, we gays don't believe everything Elton John says. That's a little silly. I mean, he said "I do" to a woman. I'm not gonna do that, trust me. He's a bitter old queen and, from what I've read about him, not a particularly nice person. But he has a point. Doesn't mean I do everything he says, but I can agree with him.

Brad Pitt, on the other hand...yes, I would do anything he says. But that's just me.

January 09, 2007 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home