3.21.2005

Thou Shalt Not Apologize [The Mail Bag]

From: Me
To: Michael [a co-worker]
Date: 01/06/05 09:14AM
Re: Training

Hello Michael...

I understand you need to attend one of the upcoming trainings. Let me know which date works best for you as soon as possible, as classes can fill up quickly.

Thanks,
Darren

From: Michael
To: Me
Date: 01/06/05 09:44AM
Re: Training

Hi Darren,

Please put me into the January 18 training.

Thanks, Mike

Work Hard - - Do Your Best - - Keep Your Word
Never get Too Big for Your Britches - - Trust in God - - Have No Fear
and NEVER Forget a Friend.



From: Me
To: Michael [a co-worker]
Date: 01/06/05 09:45AM
Re: Training

Thanks for the quick reply.

Darren


From: Me
To: Michael [a co-worker]
Date: 01/06/05 10:32AM
Re: Training

Hello Michael...

I'm compelled to say something about the signature in your emails. Specifically, "Trust in God."

I don't know if it violates any policy, but I think it's inappropriate to include a religious message - however well-intentioned - in an official government email, as not everyone who receives it will share your specific religious beliefs.

If you are Buddhist, Hindu, Wiccan, Satanist, agnostic, atheist, or have any religion or belief system other than a Judeo-Christian one, your signature can be exclusionary, even slightly offensive. Although I totally understand the good intentions behind it, it still seems inappropriate.

I fall into one of those categories, and your email made me uncomfortable. It's easy to forget that not everyone shares your religious beliefs, and that an official government email may not be the appropriate forum to express them. Imagine if you received an email from a government employee that included "Trust in Buddha," "Trust in Yourself - There Is No God," "Trust in Satan," or "Trust in the Great Mother," how would it make you feel? Would you say something to that person?

I asked another coworker - who is Catholic - what she thought, and she said it even made her uncomfortable, and she encouraged me to say something if it bothered me. So here I am.

I just wanted to let you know. I'm not writing this out of anger or trying to be confrontational, but I just wanted you to know how that signature made me feel, and how it may make others feel who don't share your religious beliefs.

Respectfully,
Darren


From: Michael
To: Me
Date: 01/06/05 10:34AM
Re: Training

Point taken


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Christian and I'm not offended by it. I wouldn't be offended by someone saying trust buddha, trust Allah, or trust yourself, though saying "trust Satan" might unnerve me.
What happened to religious tolerance?

February 14, 2007 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home